Sunday, November 15, 2009

You Win Some, You Lose Some

Triumphs and defeats from recent days.

Academia

Gee, what a pity--it looks like in order to fulfill the University's requirements for graduation, I'll have to take the second philosophy class in the series with the same professor next semester:  TRIUMPH.

Even while my Italian professor negotiates with the Department of Romance Languages, as of right now, I still have my last exam scheduled for December 21st:  DEFEAT.

I seized the opportunity during a physics lecture on volcanoes to fling my arms in the air and squeal, "I'M FROM OREGON!" as the professor showed a slide of Crater Lake:  TRIUMPH.

The first Spanish professor with whom I met to discuss the likelihood of my completing a Hispanic Studies major was discouraging and told me that I didn't have enough prior preparation in Spanish classes:  DEFEAT.

Later, another Spanish professor informed me that not only can I graduate on time, but that in terms of transferred credits and language preparation, I "made out like a thief": TRIUMPH.

She's my new advisor:  TRIUMPH.

Yeah, about that first lady? My Spanish was better than hers:  TRIUMPH.

And I now know not to take classes with her:  TRIUMPH.

Living Quarters

Of the three snarling, unrestrained dogs that live downstairs, one has taken a liking to me: TRIUMPH.

The two that have not are notorious "jumpers":  DEFEAT.

I found a dollar left on the ground upon entering my apartment building:  TRIUMPH.

Since I've had no adequate or consistent heating in my apartment since, well, ever, that dollar is going directly to an astronomical electric bill thanks to my space heater being on all the time:  DEFEAT.

I could get the management company in big trouble for not supplying adequate and consistent heat to my apartment, according to Boston law:  POTENTIAL TRIUMPH.

However, I have no thermostat to prove it and Inspectional Services has no working phone:   DEFEAT.

Health

The campus skin specialist didn't seem to understand when I told him that his previously prescribed treatment for my cracked lips wasn't working, because he told me to continue putting jock itch cream on my face for another week:  DEFEAT.

My new psychologist totally rocks, and he's from the West Coast:  TRIUMPH.

Transportation

Due to its being overcrowded with raucous and barbaric undergraduate students in various stages of drunkenness, the last two times I've taken the campus shuttle bus have induced dissociation followed panic attacks upon entering my apartment:  DEFEAT.

The fare machine on the T was broken when I last boarded at Tappan Street. I saved $1.70:   TRIUMPH.

I avoided the infamous Copley fare trap by transferring to the E train at Arlington instead:   TRIUMPH. (The T map shows that to transfer from any Green Line train to the E train, one must transfer at Copley Station, where one must leave the station, cross the street, and re-enter the station at another entrance and pay again. There is a way to avoid paying two fares, but the MBTA will not let you know what it is.)

2 comments:

AP said...

Rebecca, this is a phenomenal contemplation of your life recently. I miss you!!!

Kate said...

Yes, it's phenomenal.
She stole it from my Tales of VICTORY and WOE !
(Love you Becs.)