Saturday, May 15, 2010

Enjoy It Before It Changes in Five Minutes

Contrary to a popular saying around here, the nice weather in Boston today stayed constant for a whopping couple of hours.  It beckoned me outdoors.  I followed.

Rowers practicing in the park--there's a boating business by the Hatch Shell (I've finally learned how to say it after thinking it was "Hat Shell," "Half Shell," etc.) that rents out boats and apparently gives lessons to adventurous amateurs.


This couple seems to have had years of experience in the art of leisure--if there's any good place to smoke a cigar with your spouse in Boston, I'm sure the Charles River waterfront is it.


This fellow appeared next to my shoulder just as I was sitting on a bench and pulling out an apple from my backpack--the Esplanade squirrels have their timing down.  I shared, of course (sucker, I know), and I was surprised that this little one let me leave without climbing up my jeans to look for more apple slices...


Make Way for Ducklings--the real deal.


If you look really closely, you can see another type of Boston "duck" passing by the Longfellow Bridge--it's light orange and gives amphibious city tours.  (Dad, could this be "Symphony Hal"?)


All right, back to the apartment for some study time, before the weather changes...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a gorgeous day definitely for a couple hours+! Too bad you are leaving as Boston reaches it's height of beauty. Glad you got to enjoy it, and take these great photos. That is the cutest squirrel I've ever seen in the city. Usually they are more rough-seeming (kind of fat and mean). Hope you'll remember the city just like this.